Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Blister Repair: The Saga Continues

After finishing all the grinding from the first coat of Six/10 I scrubbed the hull with a Scotch-Brite pad to remove any bottom paint residue, and to clear any amine blush.  Today I returned with my final tube of Six/10 and filled the minor depressions which were left when I used the spreader to smooth the repairs.  Not my idea of a good time.

In hindsight, I am absolutely certain that I should have sanded the hull down, used traditional fairing compound of some sort (Interfill, West, etc.) and then re-applied the barrier coat.  While I am certain my current track will end with a solid repair, it is a horribly time consuming process to apply and sand the Six/10.  Live and learn.

Next step will be re-sanding the hull to fair the blisters.  This time it should go quicker as I have applied much less epoxy.  My last task will be determining whether or not to reapply a barrier coat to the whole hull, or to spot repair.  The areas I sanded occasionally broke through the barrier coat, so at a minimum they will need to be repaired.  It was isolated though, so I'm leaning towards repairing only as needed.

Stay tuned and we'll find out which path I choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment