Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cockpit Drain Fittings are Cracked

You have GOT to be kidding me!  How many more surprises do I need to get through before I can just start finishing this refit and not add new work to the list?  I am very confident that the cracking is the result of winter ice backing up in the drains.  There's no corrosion to weaken the metal, so that seems like a reasonable assumption.

After a little research on the CS Owners Association I learned that these are bar sink fittings.  They really aren't very beefy at all, but then again they held up fine for 34 years so who am I to question?

Before I go any further, let me express that which I do NOT wish to do:  I do NOT wish to remove the cockpit drains and get stuck with fiberglass work trying to flush mount a new fitting that isn't quite the same as what I have now.  The last thing I need right now is another fiberglass job.

I'm hoping that I can find a new tail piece at Lowes or Home Depot that will do the job.  There, I said it!  The other option is to spend $200 per scupper for Perko fittings, or to buy reasonably priced Marelon fittings which will no doubt require finicky fiberglass work.  The Marelon fittings are probably one of the better compromise solutions, but they could set me back two weeks by the time I get them installed.

Yes, I know that what I get at Home Depot isn't going to be pure bronze.  Since I only sail in fresh water, that's not so big a problem as it might sound.  I'd actually love to find a replacement bronze fitting for this one, but I'm not optimistic given the vintage.  Let's review an already mentioned detail which bears relevance:  This sink fitting has been on my boat for 34 years and has been fine.

Researching these replacement parts tends to take as much time as the fiberglass tweaking that comes after!  There's just no way to efficiently or economically refit a 30+ year old boat.  You can do it cheaper than the Yard can, and often you can do it better.  But you can't very likely predict how long it will take or how much it will cost.  You just have to resign yourself to saying, "It is what it is!" and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment