Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Getting Back On Track

The Cockpit as a Work ShopThat fuel tank replacement threw me for a loop.  not only was it not "on the master plan", but it took longer than I'd expected.  Last night I was able to clean up the sawdust residue with the mini-shopvac and finish hooking up the tank, tightening hose clamps, etc.  I filled it back up, again running the fuel through the Baja Filter, and tested the engine.  She started right up without hesitation and ran flawlessly for about 30 minutes so I think I'm safe in terms of not having to bleed the lines again.

It may also be just a figment of my imagination, but it seems like the engine is running a bit more smooth after the oil change.  My entire life I've thought I could sense a change in the engine's noise right after a change though, so it might just be some kind of wishful thinking.

While the engine was running I spent a bit of time applying weatherstripping to the cockpit lockers.  I'm hoping this will reduce a bit of the vibration noise I get at certain RPMs.  Without the foam the lockers are not tight enough to pull their latches, so there is much rattling.  We'll see next time I get out for a motor up the channel.

The cockpit locker dividers are now all installed, which removes yet another big piece of cabin clutter.  It's still a complete disaster inside the boat, but I feel like I'm slowly making progress. 

Now that I'm back on track with putting things back together rather than repairing / replacing it's a good time to look at the short-term to-do list:

Wire the Sahara 1100 bilge pump
Wire the AC main panel and galvanic isolator
Install the battery charger AC circuit
Install the AC outlets circuit
Install the bow fresh water tank
Repair the delaminated plywood on the starboard window headliner panel.
Dremel work to integrate the new alcohol stove into the gimbal.
Select and purchase stereo head unit
Install aft cabin bulkhead panels, flush mounting VHF and stereo units in port coaming recess.
Secure bilge pump hoses - STOP the FLOP.
Of course there is much else to do, but this is what I'm focusing on in the immediate future.  Should keep me pretty busy in between sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment