Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Launching is Bittersweet

Ravat is happily in the water now, which marks the first time in three seasons of ownership that I've been able to meet my launch goal.  This is a big milestone for me, which is almost as exciting as the start of the sailing season itself. 

Stepping onto my boat in the water is magical; The slight rocking as my weight shifts makes me feel she is alive beneath me.  This is in stark contrast to the stiff and lifeless motion of the boat while cradled in the off season.  And so it was that I enjoyed my first steps onto the boat yesterday.

And then I noticed that the yard crew was wearing combat boots and had recently walked through mud.  I had spent three hours cleaning the non-skid before this launch.  Then I entered the cabin to find that the main bettery switch had been left to "combine" rather than "on".  Not sure why as the starter battery is brand new and fully charged.  Oh yes, and the engine cooling seacock was left wide open.

I'm not sure how this sort of thing goes in other marinas, but here at my own, no one gives your boat the love that you do.  All's well that ends well though, and with a bit of scrubbing she'll be her old self.  In the end, my silly grin overpowered the cringes.

Let the rigging begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment