Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Installing a Carbon Monoxide Detector

One of the (long list of) items on my boat's last survey suggested that I should install a Carbon Monoxide detector in the main cabin.  I did some research on this topic, and I can't help but agree that there is some degree of risk, and it seems to be something that strikes in very unexpected situations.

My young son loves to play in the cabin while we're out, and this often includes the 20 minute motor in or out of the main channel which is difficult to sail through due to wind direction and other traffic.  If he were to be affected by CO poisoning I wouldn't even notice from the cockpit.  So yes, I'm in favor of adding a simple measure of safety.

The next step on my journey was to select a model to install.  Many people suggested installing a residential unit.  This has the benefit of opening up to products which are battery powered, and thus won't require running wires and ripping out panels.  On the other hand, these models aren't usually rated for marine duty.  Does that matter?

I think so.  For one thing, most homes don't exist in the constant state of humidity which boats do.  A cheaper unit could have connections which are more susceptible to corrosion.  More significantly though is that a non-marine unit may not be rated for the constant motion and vibration associated with being on water.  Is there a tangible and observed difference in build quality I can point to?  No, not at this time.

I selected the Xintex Fireboy CO Sentinal.  It's marine rated, and one of the smaller units I could find.  My boat is only 27 feet long, so I don't have a vast cavernous interior which has numerous places to put this hunk of plastic.  It's not a very attractive unit, and I really prefer the look of teak and brass to this.  Having said that, I think this is as unobtrusive as it gets, so I'm happy with the decision.

Now that I have a detector, I need to find a location.  And here's where it gets interesting.  The instructions suggest eye level mounting.  Is that eye-level when standing?  Or when seated?  Or when I'm lying on the settee?  After a bit more research it looks like the recommendation is to ensure you can see the little indicator lights, so it's more about visibility than mounting level.  The next suggestion was to avoid proximity to hatches or something like a galley stove.  That makes sense.  But what are other people doing?

I asked my owners association mail list what other people had done, and got back very little that was helpful.  I don't think many people have them installed.  Next I tried consulting the omniscient Google, and again, found almost nothing which described an installation process, location, or photographs of this project.  So I'm left wondering how other people have tackled this job, and why this project has almost no record of others doing it.  You can find a million detailed project descriptions out there for anything... Else...

I'm still debating the location in my own cabin.  I have a few choices, and I'm trying hard to figure out which one will let me see the LEDs, but not draw much attention to the rest of the unit.  I'm beginning to think that like me, most DIY boaters have a CO detector sitting in their lockers waiting for someone else to come up with a great idea to inspire them to complete an installation.  I'll try to come up with something over the next few weeks and post a photo which starts the movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment